Saturday, December 24, 2011

Will riding on the rim without tire damage my car?

Yesterday morning, after entering a high way, my jetta began to make a loud noise. Firstly, I though it was caused by my A/C, but after turning off the A/C, the noise became even stronger. Then, my car began to tremble; the steer became hard to control. I carefully changed the lane and exited the highway after driving for about one mile. Then, I drove back to my apartment directly, since it's very near to my apartment. When I got off of my car, I found the front right tire had gone, there was only a rim!! I couldn't believe that I drove on this steel rim coming back.





Now I am wondering whether driving on the steel rim will damage my front axle or some other parts. Actually, the rim was bended a little, but when I replaced the new tire in discount tire, the guy said the rim is OK!





Any one has some idea about whether this will cause some mechanical damage or problemsé”›?Thanks!|||Get your front end alignment checked. Other than that, consider yourself very fortunate. Imagine if you had spun into a minivan full of rug rats! Good luck.|||It shouldn't have caused any damage to anything besides the rim. Unless you hit a pot hole.


Regardless i would check to see if you need to get that tire re-aligned. For one tire, it wont be too expensive to do if you have to.|||The main damage it can cause is a damaged rim. It's not really a good idea to use the bent rim. It will actually change the way the tire seats and you could have more problems in the future. Question for you. How did you not know you were driving on just the rim?|||when i had a flat on my stang i rode on the rim for about 4-5 miles. after i got my new tire put on i noticed the stering wheel shook around 45mph and up. i also noticed alittle damage on the rim but the guy said it was ok. so i guess if your cars not shaking and acting normal you should be fine,

No comments:

Post a Comment