Saturday, December 24, 2011

I shattered a rim on my Mini Cooper getting onto the highway. Should the city pay for this?

There is a huge, what one might call, speed bump in the acceleration lane getting on Westbound Interstate 30 at Eastchase Parkway in Fort Worth Texas. I realize that my car (MiniCooper) is tiny but this could do some damage to any car, I'm sure. Anyway the rim was shattered, the tire was ripped. A new rim for Coops was $750, new tire $300. I opted out of replacing the factory rim, instead going with a full set of after market rims for close to $600. Vincent up at Discount Tire hooked me up with $50 off of the tire, also. Question is...Should the city reimburse me for the damages done to Coops?|||I blew out two tires when I was driving after dark one evening, and went through what appeared to be a puddle of water, that was really a very deep pot hole full of water. As I pulled to the side of the road, there were three other cars that had done the same thing. We all decided to individually write letters to the city, because I pay taxes so that the roads are properly maintained, and obviously they are not doing their job. Shockingly, they refunded myself and everyone else for our expenses.





A speed bump may be different, since it is suppose to be there, but it's worth a shot. If you explain the situation, they may just be understanding.|||Aren't you supposed to be looking ahead to see any obstacles in the road, so that they can be avoided?





You can call the state (they are responsible for interstate maintenance, not the city) and file a claim, but it will be denied. The appeal process may cost you more than your new wheels. Chalk it up to lesson learned.





Why didn't you look for a wheel in a salvage yard? Much cheaper. If you just wanted someone to pay for your new custom wheels, look somewhere else.|||Wow. That's awful!





As terrible as it is, the answer is no, the city shouldn't reimburse you, and you wouldn't want them to. It would result in taxes so high that you couldn't afford to live there. If the city had to pay for every situation like yours, it would go broke, not to mention the bureaucracy it would create to have people investigate every claim.





Just chalk it up to a lousy experience and move on, taking extra good care of your cute little car. I hope you have good insurance.|||Um, no. Try all you like, but you will never get a dime. They will call it a road hazzard.|||your not gonna get any money... but if you do file a claim and there are enough people with the same problem they might fix the road..............





but you wont get any money.. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment