Friday, December 16, 2011

Discount tire Ride Matching Legit or Bunk?

I recently purchased a new set of Yoko YK520's for my car. When I went in, they presented me with an option for "ride matching", it's supposed to perfectly match the tire with the rim resulting in a smoother ride.





I didn't understand how this was different then properly balancing the tire, but it sounded like a good thing. Anyhow I agreed to have this done then found out it cost $100! I was a bit floored by the price.





Here is a link the their advertisement of the feature.





http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct鈥?/a>





I was also surprised that this only needs to be done once for the life of the tire.





So, was this a good idea or did I get ripped off?





Mike|||In theory it is a good idea, IF you drive a high performance, delicately balanced race car at speeds exceeding 170 mph.


On the standard road vehicle, it is a waste, sort of putting a fifty-dollar saddle on a five dollar horse. Something you can brag about, but nothing that is really going to pay dividends for you or your ride.


A good balance job is ample.


When this sort of "matching" is done, it is effective only until there is tire wear, or a flat. When the tire is removed and placed back on the wheel, it is rarely placed that precisely on the rim again.





Happy Motoring|||Made a big difference on my 2003 Accord. Rims and tires Falken FK452 were balanced but still had vibration, I complained and they did the Ride Matching. Now the car is perfect. Cost me nothing but time wasted. I would say if you have low profile tires and or a stiff suspension you might need this.

Report Abuse


|||Looks to me like you got taken. For a true balancing, you need to spin balance the tire/wheel assembly ON THE CAR. This takes into consideration any imbalances from the wheel bearing out, including your hub, rotor or brake drum, etc. I understand what they are saying about matching the tire to the wheel, I just don't buy it. If your suspension were that sensitive, you would have more problems than a little vibration from an imbalanced wheel. You would do much better having the assembly balanced on the car.





The link you gave said $40 for a set of four. How did you wind up paying $100?

No comments:

Post a Comment