Saturday, December 24, 2011

Is it worth to buy an old tire.. or is it waste of money?

Hello all, hey I was just wondering if I could save some bucks, Do you know how much a 205 65 R 15 USED tire (or tires if discounted when I buy more than one) cost in fair condition, and how much is it to balance a tire? Thanks. Have a nice day!|||The question really is too vague to give you an exact answer. However i can tell you that if you deal with an honest shop, buying used tires is not a big deal. I once bought a set of used tires from les schwab and one of them blew out on the freeway and damn near killed me. I showed les schab my receipt and they gave me full credit back and sold me into a set of new tires. So obviously new is better because you don't know where used tires have been but if your shop will back the used tires then it is way cheaper to go with used tires. I buy all my tires from les schwab because they come with a free warranty. They do free flats, rotates, balances, air checks, and inspections. i once tried to save money by using Costco. but in the end i spent more money. there tires were about $50 cheaper but they could not fix the balance on them. i went in 4 times and the truck still vibrates. I finally got fed up and went to les schwab and they did something called a road force balance and fixed the problem. they told me normally it would cost about $100 but they sold it to me for the price of a normal balance which was $50. Ironically the amount of money i saved by buying crappy Costco tires.|||I would advise against buying used tires - you never know what they went through.


If available, go for the retreaded tires - they are thoroughly stripped and checked before being processed, cost about half the new tire and usually come with some sort of (written) warranty.


For accurate pricing, shop around in your area.|||If it's all you can afford, why not? Just look them over very close. Make sure there is enough tread left. You can easily see the wear bars if they are too worn. Check the side walls very close. That is critical. Nothing can repair a side wall. I have seen tires that still had lots of tread left but they were cracked from the sun. This is known as dry rot. This is not a tire to buy. Always buy 2 matching tires unless you happen to find an exact match for your tires.





Mounting %26amp; balancing is fairly cheap. Call around. Some service stations are still out there. That's your best shot. Some tire shops will do it as well but they prefer that you buy from them.|||depends on how much they want to sell it to you for lol.





usually based on tread depth left. anywhere from $10 all the way up to $20 below retail for a new one is what I've seen based on how good condition the tire is in.





again, balancing varies. walmart is generally cheapest. $7.50/tire lifetime.|||It is never a good idea to buy used because you won't know if there are underlying defects in the tyre. Nearly all used tyres or "runners" come from scrap cars. If you were to see the treatment they get then you would not even think about buying used. My advice would be to buy the best new tyres that you can afford|||it depends on how much they are asking for it. anything that,s used your taking a chance on them. i would say a used tire with a good bit of tread on it would run you about 20 bucks at a junk yard. i pay 7 bucks a tire to get them balanced if i already have the tire off. i expect it,s more if they have to take it off the car and put it back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment